Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Problem Solved and Honesty is the best policy

Many problems can occur at an event and it is how the events team deal with the situation which accounts for its success. My main duty at the event was to be at the registration desk where I received many enquiries I was unsure how to answer. This involved me having to call my supervisor at times to find out how to deal with these questions. I learnt by listening to how she approached people and how she dealt with such situations.

One situation I had was a man who had sent printed advertisements noticed these were not located in the satchels like they were supposed to be. This was a minor mistake due to the enormity of the event and short staff. I was on the receiving end of this man who was understandably not pleased. I tried to come up with a solution for him a way that people who had already picked up their satchels without the advertisement could still receive the piece of paper. Therefore, I asked the man if he would like us to hand the sheets out during the lunch breaks and leave the papers on the registration desk. As a result this would mean the sheets would actually receive more exposure. Later on my supervisor spoke with him and was honest that we had missed it accidentally as a box was hidden from view. She apologised and later he was happy with how the events team had dealt with the situation. The next time I saw him he was smiling from ear to ear. What I learnt at this event is the impact of people on others. The fact that someone can have a grudge against you, however later on they have become like your best friend.

Another incident we had was the registration website was not the best system. A lady registering for the event asked if she gets the handbook printed, however I had to tell her she had not requested it in her registration. She also mentioned poor signage to find the location, however we were placing up signs as she spoke. Despite this I remembered her name for the rest of the event and said hello to her every day. She then told my supervisor how lovely and patient I was and that I had to put up with her on the first day. Luckily we had spare handbooks left over towards the end of the conference and I was able to hand her one. She was overwhelmed with happiness, and I thought I may have seen a tear in her eye as she gave me a hug. She said something that will stick with me for life. She said, "We react in the way other people treat us. If you are nice to people, they will be kind back." This was an important part of my life as I realised I had not only done my job but made a difference in someones life.

Many people will experience such occurrences in their life but experiences like these are the most valuable and memorable. The feedback received from customers is great at advise for us to change the way things are completed and processed in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment