Sunday, 15 November 2015

Practitioner Interviews

Jodi my supervisor for the Deakin Events Management Internship found her job in an interesting way. She originally worked in the city and was a restaurant manager at the Langham hotel. She was told by someone that she was in the wrong job and should run events.

Jeremy for the Frankston Arts Centre Internship found his job also in an interesting way. He used to be in charge of a theatre company. 

When I met comedian Sammy J at the Frankston Arts Centre launch it was intriguing to find out he had studied Media and Communication also. After being told this I watched a few of his acts and noticed that a lot of what is said relates back to the studies of Media and Communication. Some things were about society and how we react to everyday life. However he does this in intriguing ways through acts like his backwards song. He shows that thinking outside the box with different ideas can be turned into comedy. Media and Communication is about researching audiences and how they react to different things. These skills most definitely would be transferred to his job. 

I met some people on LinkedIn and found out about how they ended up in their jobs. 

Ryan who's job title is Athelete Social Media Education, Co-Founder/ Head of Social Communications, Hook Media mentioned that internships/volunteering and other kinds of work helped him get his first jobs in the media industry. He also provided me with his blog link where I had a look at some of his insights. 

Another person from Linkedin Brett who job title is Niche Market Specialist - List Building Solutions, Advertising Sales, Exclusive Networks, Niche Publications. He sent me statistic reports about conferences and events in Victoria. 

It seems to me that whatever experience or jobs you have before another job that will always determine where you end up next.

It has been interesting to notice that usually jobs come about from other people who believe they may be better in another realm. Just like when you're in an interview, even though you have to talk about yourself in positive ways employers can tell if you will fit the job and blend in with the company.

In all I have realised the importance of asking other people about their experiences and current jobs. This helps to identify whether you would enjoy working in their field or if other places would be more suitable.

I also found that deep down your personality and little things you seem to do when you were younger apply to your passions. These things stick with you and help create a path for your career that suits you. For example, when completing the Events Management Internship I found I loved organising things and making sure everything runs as smooth as possible. This dates back to when I was younger and at the age of 17 I prepared daily sightseeing attractions for the 4 days we were in London. We were able to squeeze in 12 attractions in 4 days where we were able to visit most attractions in London. I also enjoyed it as tasks I did such as ordering catering and donuts for the conferences were things I had to do when organising my trip to America last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment